Adelaide United vs Central Coast Mariners at Coopers Stadium

Result: Adelaide 3 - Mariners 1

Tough Result in Adelaide

The end of the 2021/22 season for the Mariners came in Adelaide on a damp Sunday afternoon. The Reds proved to be too high a hill to climb but Central Coast can be satisfied with their achievements. At the start of the regular season campaign, the team set two goals. The first was to reach the final of the FFA Cup. The second to play A-League Finals.

The early exchanges gave chances at both ends of the pitch. In the 14th minute Marcos Urena was fed a defence-splitting ball. The Costi Rican international raced forward but ran out of room as Gauci in the Reds goal smothered his attempt.

Next, it was Beni N’Kololo who left two defenders in his wake with a shimmy and shake. His shot thundered across the goal but the local custodian was able to palm the ball away while at full stretch on the turf.

Adelaide were inspired by a dynamic performance from Craig Goodwin on the left flank. In fact, it was from this player that the first goal came in the 25th minute. First a misplaced pass was pounced on by the Reds. A precise defence-splitting ball aided by a mistake in the middle of the defence allowed Goodwin to take control and fire past an advancing Birighitti.

Two minutes later the ball was fed to the Mariners right wing where Lewis Miller looped a cross which was expertly met by Urena. His headed attempt went harmlessly over the bar.

Apart from the goal, the first half was an even contest with good passages of play from both sides.

Coach Monty introduced Garang Kuol at the start of the second half for his earliest substitution so far. The Mariners had the ball in the net at the 56th minute. Max Ballard drove forward leaving a number of opponents in his wake. He threaded the ball into a small space for Jason Cummings to race onto. From there it was a matter of course for the Scotsman to find the net. Unfortunately, the cheers of Mariners supporters soon turned to despair as the ‘equaliser’ was ruled offside.

Ten minutes later Adelaide went two goals up as an excellent left wing cross by Goodwin found Kosegi Yengi who had no problem to fire home.

Mariners fans enjoyed a moment of glory as firstly Kuol neatly fed Ballard on the left who in turn put the ball across to the other side where Storm Roux, on for the injured Miller, delightedly shot along the deck and into the target for his first Mariners goal for this season. All this excitement happened with twenty minutes to go.

Time added on brought the third and final goal for Adelaide United as the Mariners were trying to press for an equaliser. It was a brilliant solo effort by late substitute Bernardo.

The season came to end for the Mariners. It will now be interesting to see what changes might occur in the off season. There is already much speculation as the club moves forward to an era of a new investor/chairman (subject to approval by APL and Football Australia).



Mariners FC Site

A-League Web Site

A Leagues Logo Men Stacked Colour Black RGB 061021

Football Federation Aus.

CCM Supporters Trust


Central Coast Football